C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rough idle/shaking when A/C is turned on at a stop

Old 03-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Rough idle/shaking when A/C is turned on at a stop

I've noticed this with my car and I was wondering if anyone else experienced it as well. I have 9k miles on my car... When I come to a stop, with the a/c off, it's pretty smooth, but the instant I turn on the a/c, it idles really rough, and you can feel the car shaking and get louder.

What's wrong? Is it normal? My old C280 would do this somewhat, but this is slightly harsher than it and I really didn't notice it on my C280 until it got to a higher mileage...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlpamg
I've noticed this with my car and I was wondering if anyone else experienced it as well. I have 9k miles on my car... When I come to a stop, with the a/c off, it's pretty smooth, but the instant I turn on the a/c, it idles really rough, and you can feel the car shaking and get louder.

What's wrong? Is it normal? My old C280 would do this somewhat, but this is slightly harsher than it and I really didn't notice it on my C280 until it got to a higher mileage...
My 02 coupe does this to a degree, and when the lwt flywheel is in it does so even more. This doesn't make it a normal thing, have the dealer check it out.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

Doesn't sound too unusual on a four cylinder car. At idle, they don't make much HP, and the AC compressor sucks a lot of grunt to run. Take it to the dealer and start up another car like yours if your worried. Maybe you got a bad motor mount.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
When I come to a stop, with the a/c off, it's pretty smooth, but the instant I turn on the a/c, it idles really rough, and you can feel the car shaking and get louder.
Check your tachometer when you turn on the A/C...

Do the revolutions come and stay down about 100-150 RPM? If thats the case, then probably the engine management system is not compensating for the additional and substantial load caused by the A/C at idle speed. Take it in for service and and explain your findings.