E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need Info - Suspension Mods for E430 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Info - Suspension Mods for E430 Sport

I have a 2001 E430 Sport and I want to try beefing up the suspension so it will have that good “heavy” feel of the C43 (which I have driven a bunch) or the E55 (which I presume also has that nice “heavy” and stable feel. Right now I consider the E430 Sport's ride to be a bit soft and "light," if that makes any sense. I have ordered AMG Monoblock II wheels (18”) and bigger Michelin Pilots (235’s in the front and 265’s in the rear) and am having these installed right away. However, as far as potential suspension mods might go, I do not have a clue as to where to start with this stuff. Does anyone know how I would go about finding out what suspension components I could switch out on my E430 Sport and if this is feasible? Will switching out suspension components provide that heavy, solid feeling of the AMG-modified cars? Would any of these suspension mods interfere with my E430 Sport's factory “electronic suspension” stuff? Do you have any knowledge or advice you could share with me? Or, if you don’t, could you tell me who I might contact to learn more?

I would welcome your reply here or an e-mail at schall2020@hotmail.com or even a phone call if you have the time. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Steve Hall – 210-744-6060
Old 12-06-2004, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
do a search in the forum lots of info on shocks and springs. I currently have vogtland springs, #1 spring pads, bilstein sport shocks and Adjustable rear camber arms. ride is pretty stiff, probably too stiff but it is a blast to drive!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:19 AM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
Hey Steve.....just read my signature info. at the bottom for all the work I have done to my E430 suspension. There are many places on the Net to find decent parts.

www.tirerack.com
www.epimporters.com
www.performanceproducts.com

Good Luck
Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks - Another Question

Shane C - Thanks so much for your reply. If you were to recommend any specific upgrades for me, keeping in mind that all I want to do is get closer to that "heavy and solid" feeling that my friend's C43 has, would you have any ideas beyond the information you provided? And, would you have specific recommendations if I didn't want to upgrade all three (springs, sway bars AND shocks)? I am not looking to do major modifications, and I really don't drive my car hard so I don't need super high performance suspension. It's just that after driving the AMG, I crave that heavy feeling and stability - with the C43 (and I bet with the E55 also) that feeling is so obvious even at speeds of 5-10 mph. When it hits a bump or when you turn, it just feels like you are holding onto something very stable. Thanks again for your reply and your time - any last suggestions? Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
H&R springs, on stock shocks....or Eibachs for less of a drop and more comfortable ride, especially at slower speeds. Best to upgrade your shocks eventually as performance springs should really be matched with performance shocks e.g. Bilstein Sports....assuming you don't wish to go the "big bang" with a full H&R Cupkit right now.

IMO, sway bars are optional as the W210 is already quite sturdy.

Last edited by Whitey; 12-06-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Whitey
H&R springs, on stock shocks....or Eibachs for less of a drop and more comfortable ride, especially at slower speeds. Best to upgrade your shocks eventually as performance springs should really be matched with performance shocks e.g. Bilstein Sports....assuming you don't wish to go the "big bang" with a full H&R Cupkit right now.

IMO, sway bars are optional as the W210 is already quite sturdy.
I agree

I have heard just changing the shocks to bilstein heavy duty is a significant improvment. however to achieve the feel your looking for (E55, C43) i would change the springs as well since both models are equipped with stiffer springs.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Oh, and of course, I forgot the option of the E55 suspension system
Old 12-08-2004, 02:00 PM
E43

2000 E430 Sport
Island, I agree with your assessment that the stock 430 Sport suspension is soft and light. Sadly, the Sport package really has nothing to do with the suspension. I upgraded my suspension with H&R springs and Bilstein Sport shocks, and the car rides much like an E55. This, coupled with the wheel and tire upgrade you did will give you the ride you are looking for. You could skip the sway bars if you don't drive that aggressively. If you are interested in lowering your car, change the spring pads when you change the springs to save $ on installation.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:24 PM

I'd suggest starting by investing in some sport shocks. KONI offers a great shock that's adjustable in damping, so you can fine tune the ride to your liking.

If later down the like you'd like to lower the car some, consider some lowering springs from H&R or Vogtland. Both are great setups and can make a huge improvement in handling and looks.

Feel free to email if you have any questions!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Bump. Read the following and had two questions:

Originally Posted by E43
I upgraded my suspension with H&R springs and Bilstein Sport shocks, and the car rides much like an E55. This, coupled with the wheel and tire upgrade you did will give you the ride you are looking for. You could skip the sway bars if you don't drive that aggressively. If you are interested in lowering your car, change the spring pads when you change the springs to save $ on installation.
1. Which H&R springs? H&R Sport springs or H&R OE's? (I come from the VW Passat world, where both are available for FWD Passats.)

2. So if I leave the spring pad alone, the ride height won't change (or change only minimally)?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
AJ, I still need your help with the brake job. It's been over a year now. You are a busy guy!

Anyway, I am about to install Vogtland springs with bilstein sport shocks. It is supposed to lower by around 1.5". We'll find out though. As to pads, I have no clue. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Originally Posted by RBrenton88
AJ, I still need your help with the brake job. It's been over a year now. You are a busy guy!
You let the brakes go that long?!?!

Yeah, sorry -- between work, teaching and military stuff, I've been a bit tied up. And it's not looking like it's going to let up anytime soon. Hit me up in a month or so, I'll see what my schedule looks like then.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
You let the brakes go that long?!?!

Yeah, sorry -- between work, teaching and military stuff, I've been a bit tied up. And it's not looking like it's going to let up anytime soon. Hit me up in a month or so, I'll see what my schedule looks like then.

Book it now Dano. baby needs new Brembos