M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Brake lamp, left/right

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ml350
Brake lamp, left/right

My 2006 ML 350 is getting a message brake lamp right, brake lamp right substitute bulb on and brake lamp left, brake lamp left substitute bulb on, does anyone know what this mean?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 PM

r
Bulbs are burned out (will use other bulbs as substitues) There is a wiring update that my apply to yours.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM

ml350
Mines doing the same thing what's the wiring update for?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM

r
It gives the brake lamp a separt ground and pulls the power supply out the connector and into its own connector
Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM

2006 ml350
Hey, do you know if this has to be done in a shop or can I do this myself?

Originally Posted by socketman
It gives the brake lamp a separt ground and pulls the power supply out the connector and into its own connector
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by newmldriver
Hey, do you know if this has to be done in a shop or can I do this myself?
it's recall ...let's specially trained technician perform work - go to dealership and let's them perform 30 min routine.

I replaced 2 bulbs in short time, went to service and they did it free of charge.

As answer on your question - I think it could be done by yourself but I am not sure if you have all required parts for that ...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM

2006 ML 350
DIY Brake light fix. Dont bother with dealer

So my gf's 06 ml350 did this warning light. Bulbs were all good. I bought the repair kit from mb. Waste of money. Its not a plug n play deal. You still have to splice into the hot wire.

If you have any sotterig skills hou can do this yourself for free. Heck i would do this for cheap for anyone in my area. Keevin77@live.com bentonville ar

Simply pull the bulb socket from taillight housing. Sotter a red wire the power terminal to splice into the main power wire on harness which i sottered to it as well. Sotter a ground wire to ground side on the bulb socket. Run it to chasis ground. Plug back in and your done. No need to spend money at mb.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM

07 ML350
Very simple to do yourself. I just did both of mine on my 07. You do have to remove one wire from the factory harness and insert the wire from the repair kit. You install one ground wire to the body ground screw. You need a wire harness removal pin tool. There are great photos hee on the site which I followed. I was also getting the same message. With these kits you will be trouble free.

Also no soldering required at all. No need to cut anything, just remove existing pin and replace.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

2008 S550 AMG
I think I paid the dealership less than $150 for a bulb burning out campaign. They were fully aware of it, but I did email the service advisor with the following Campaign 2 164-826-00-07.

I was charged 1.5 hours to replace the harness at both tail lights.

Error free since this was performed.

Well worth the headache being gone!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45

Last edited by mb techman; 09-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45

Last edited by mb techman; 09-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ml350
Related note with LED tails

I had some led tails installed, and also getting this messege. Also when at night with the lights on, only one side brightens up. I've read somewhere that it's related to the rear fogs?? The new led unit doesn't have the connectors for the very top light(brake)socket as well, I'm guessing that's why I'm getting this error. If anyone can chime in this prob.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:48 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by yister
I had some led tails installed, and also getting this messege. Also when at night with the lights on, only one side brightens up. I've read somewhere that it's related to the rear fogs?? The new led unit doesn't have the connectors for the very top light(brake)socket as well, I'm guessing that's why I'm getting this error. If anyone can chime in this prob.
I just installed eBay LEDs (Angle Eye brand) and am getting exactly the same thing:

No second connector (for top socket/light).
Right side break light does not work.
Top three rows of both lights do not work.
Lights-related error messages on the computer.

Any advice?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by kerunt
I just installed eBay LEDs (Angle Eye brand) and am getting exactly the same thing:

No second connector (for top socket/light).
Right side break light does not work.
Top three rows of both lights do not work.
Lights-related error messages on the computer.

Any advice?
Solved the problem. Solution in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ts-issues.html
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
There is another way that I saw on a forum somewhere. I don't know if you already fixed your problems, but I might as well share the knowledge.

I had the issue and did this super simple DIY thing and have been error free ever since.
I have a FL car and it is always exposed to a lot of humidity, therefore oxidation is easy to occur on the metal connectors of the plastic housing that you twist into the light assembly.

All you need for this is some Metal Polish, a rag, and a small screw driver.

It's easy to twist out the lights in the back and you'll see two metal prongs that connect to the light assembly (which is where the power connection occurs, I guess. Sorry, not an electrician so pardon the lack of technical terms)

Ok, so if it looks dull and somewhat oxidized this could be where the problems come from, it was for me. The connection has simply gone bad from oxidation getting in the way.

So here are the steps I followed: (as simple as I can explain them)
  • Remove the lightbulb housing
  • Inspect the bulb to see if it's ok
  • If it's ok, you can polish up the base of the bulb too. Turned into reflective aluminum from a dull start. (Make sure to clean it good afterwards removing all the polish)
  • Inspect the metal pieces that connect to the bulb in the little plastic housing
  • If the plastic under the metal tabs on the edges is burnt/bubbled, it can be a power problem. (I heard sanding down the bubble and lifting the tab away from it could do the trick *not confirmed*)
  • If not, then it can be a connection issue.
  • Take your screwdriver and look at the sides. There you'll see two locking hooks that prevent the metal pieces from falling out. Use the little screw driver to push down the hooks and gently lift out the metal bits.
  • Polish up the oxidized metal. ALL of it. I know, it can be a pain to get in the tight spots, but it ensures a solid connection. (Again went from dull to reflective metal)
  • Once polished with the metal polish, clean the tabs thoroughly to remove all polish.
  • Simply slide the tabs back in the housing. Make sure they're tight and the little locking hooks are in order.
  • *TRICK* Once I put the tabs back in, I used the small screw driver to lift the tabs that connect the plastic light housing to the light assembly to make sure they press together tightly when connected.
  • Place light bulb back into housing
  • Replace lights into brake sockets. (Both housings are the same pieces, so left and right doesn't matter)

And that's it. Takes about 30 min start to finish if you have a good polish.

Worked for me, didn't take long at all, and the best part is I didn't have to pay stealership labor hours!

Hope this helps some people out!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM

2015 ML350 4Matic
alternate fix

I swapped the brake light socketo and the tail light socket.
This resulted in the tail light not working but resolved the brake light issue.
Then I took the problematic tail light socket, cleaned up the metal connections with dremel, then used soldering iron to melt some soldering material to the now clean connections. Now the tail light has been working problem free. ..