C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How to replace supercharger bearing

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
How to replace supercharger bearing

If you don't have access to a bearing press, how do you get the bearing out after removing the c-clip from the pulley. From what i have researched, i take a strap wrnech to hold the pulley in place while i loosen the bolt with a socket wrench. once i take it out, use plyers to remove the clip (i will have masking tape on top of the pulley so the clip doesnt fly somewhere and get lost. but then how would i take the bearing out? bang out the old one with a hammer? i have a bench vice grip and many tools, just dont have the bearing press. so any help on this would be great as my bearing is coming from needswings.

Btw, some of yo may remember me saying i brought my car to the shop and they wanted to charge me 3 grand for fixing everything. they said 2 pulleys needed to be replaced which i found out were the idler and the supercharger pulley. my buddy stopped by yesterday at that shop and asked them about my car and the bearing and they said, they cant buy just the bearing, it has to be the whole pulley. Im glad i have access to these bearings, thats for sure.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
to be honest, its just quicker and easier if you take off the pulley and have them press it for $10-20 at a machine shop.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
You can use a bench vice with some cleverly placed wood to press out the bearing as well. But if you don't have a press or a vice then follow what Temjin said and take it to a shop and have them press it out for you.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:16 PM

C32 AMG
Thanks for the response guys. I just dontknow of any machine shops. i know there are many auto shops around but not sure which would have a bearing press. Is that a common tool that most garages should have? if its gonna cost 10-20 bucks, then hey, thatll save me the trouble of trying to get that little c-clip out and hoping it doesnt fly somewhere, and i rather not damage the pulley or sleeve. hmmm.......
Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
just google machine shop man...just call them until you'll find a small enough place that'll do it. Most shops don't have presses, they just tell there customers to buy the replacement part so they can just swap it out.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM

02 C32
Most small shops SHOULD have a press. This is a simple and basic job for any auto technician. My old shop had a press that we rarely used and it was common for DIY guys like yourself to come in and ask for something to be pressed. We always did it for free so you shouldn't have a problem getting someone to do this small job for you.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You don't need a press, you can use a mallet and maybe a socket the size of the bearing to press it in.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
go to NAPA and ask them what machine shop they recommend. NAPA is a Mechanic's Parts house and actually have some knowledge about stuff, unlike your typical Advance/Pep/Zone. Some NAPA's even have a Machineshop in house.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM

C32 AMG
I have the bearing from needswing. im waiting on the replacement OEM idler pulley and supercharger guide pulley from parts.com. i figured id install all 3 at once. i also have the eurocharge pulley kit and tune coming this week, but im not going to install that until i get the pulley saver kit, and until i get the maintenance stuff done (valve cover gasket, coolant flush, change plugs and wires, mount and balance new tires). i have all the parts coming, just from different sites. ill call a few shops in the area to see if they can press the bearing for me.