S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Can you turn off traction control? to do a burnout!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55
Can you turn off traction control? to do a burnout!

Hi,
My car is a 2003 S55 AMG, Can you turn off traction control 100% ? Like to do a burnout. If so how?
Thank you

Last edited by richfortin; 06-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by richfortin
Hi,
My car is a 2003 S55 AMG, Can you turn off traction control 100% ? Like to do a bourout. If so how?
Thank you
You don't need to turn it off fully, Just push the ESP button(traction control off) and you got enough power, mash the pedal. Do you know how to do a burnout that's the question?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM

hehehe
Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that's not enough for you, you could try Dyno mode; turns off traction 100%. Use search to find out how, idk exactly how to do it. Friend with a w203 used to go dyno mode all the time and just peel out everywhere! But be wary, you don't get ABS either, along with some other things...

edit: here's a quick youtube vid i found, from this thread lol

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...oll-video.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ceK9h21uo

Last edited by LawRens; 06-20-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM

2003 S55
Originally Posted by Gondon
You don't need to turn it off fully, Just push the ESP button(traction control off) and you got enough power, mash the pedal. Do you know how to do a burnout that's the question?
If you read my question carfully I wrote Traction control 100% off! My Operator's Manual says "If one or more wheels are spinning, the ESP Traction control brakes a spinning wheel even when ESP is deactivated".

Last edited by richfortin; 06-21-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
If you read my question carfully I wrote Traction control 100% off! My Operator's Manual says " If one or more wheels are spinning, the ESP Traction control brakes a spinning wheel even when ESP is deactivated. So GORDON do you realy know how to do a real burnout? That is the question.
First, you're new here. Take it easy with the attitude.
Second, a burnout is fully possible even with the ESP partially deactivated (i.e. pressing the button once)
Third, to fully deactivate it, you have to use dyno mode. However, when in dyno mode, you will lose ESP, ABS, BAS, and power steering.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:32 PM

2003 S55
Okay and thank you. Do you guys know how to do Dyno mode?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay and thank you. Do you guys know how to do Dyno mode?
click the links in my first post homie!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
If you read my question carfully I wrote Traction control 100% off! My Operator's Manual says " If one or more wheels are spinning, the ESP Traction control brakes a spinning wheel even when ESP is deactivated. So GORDON do you realy know how to do a real burnout? That is the question.
There's no need for dyno mode because you can generate the same results burn out with ESP button. The post earlier shows how to do it. Just be careful driving with it.

You hold the Brakes and push the throttle and let the tires spin then once they begin spinning you can let off the brakes or keep holding it and mash the throttle and you'll continue to do a burnout . ETC or some variation you can search on the forums plenty of guides. But you got enough power on the 55 to just mash it and it will spin the tires from standstill forget about the brake lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 AM

2001 Mercedes S500
Even with the ESP off the car will still have a rough time breaking them loose. Pushing the brake and the gas together cuts the engine torque. I know this because I forgot to plug in the ABS cable, erroring out the BAS, ABS and ESP.The car had full power. Flooring the car off the line resulted in sideways action. Doing a brake stand was just crazy. I just barley tried and the tires would break loose very easy. I didn't smoke them out or anything (Really don't want trans trouble or bald 255's). Even with ESP off, it's still limits tirespin somewhat.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by shellshock
Even with the ESP off the car will still have a rough time breaking them loose. Pushing the brake and the gas together cuts the engine torque. I know this because I forgot to plug in the ABS cable, erroring out the BAS, ABS and ESP.The car had full power. Flooring the car off the line resulted in sideways action. Doing a brake stand was just crazy. I just barley tried and the tires would break loose very easy. I didn't smoke them out or anything (Really don't want trans trouble or bald 255's). Even with ESP off, it's still limits tirespin somewhat.
I disagree. With ESP off, from a stop, pedal to the metal in an S550 made the tires spin and spin until I took my foot off (at least 5 seconds, also with no brakes being used). I'm sure it'll be even easier in an S55.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Mercedes S430 2000
First I don't care if he is new here this thread and the post on it are for all Mercedes owners new or veterans into attack a man for asking a question sounds pretty stuck-up and for your information ESP does not turn off traction control completely we also have stability control and abs stability control kicks in when the loss of traction starts engaging the electronic stability to the brake system most people don't realize these systems work together airmatic stability traction abs all run through a computer yes turning off the ESP will get you a burnout but not a real one and not one that will be easy on the car as the tires burn the stability control will kick in on the rear brakes thinking you have lost control people that have lost the airmatic system or system is leaking and it tells you to bring it in effects stability control and your abs he simply asked is there a way to do a burnout without these things interfering and from what I understand it is possible it put into Dyno mode or you get creative and install a button to turn off electronic stability control and abs and traction control all at once which I don't even know if it is possible to install such a button you would be better off with a line lock so you can lock out the rear braking system which is easy however installing a button that will turn off ABS and stability control I'm not sure it's possible don't give somebody a hard time over asking a simple question that this site is here for new or a veteran! Do you own this site? Because if you do I will find another with replies like that people join because they love these cars and value other owners opinions. This is the point of this site

My S430 I recently just received my coilover conversion kit still running the airmatic system but soon we'll have fully adjustable coil-overs in their place just so everyone knows when your airmatic system goes out so does your stability control and abs all work together for your best chance in the event of spin out the car is designed to lower itself to the ground to lower its center of gravity as well as initiate stability control & ABS airmatic light on will accompany 4 malfunctions
Old 03-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Mercedes S430 2000
I truly don't understand if somebody needs help joins The Forum it does not matter how new they are knowledge is power not how long you've been a part of a group to those who actually answered this man trying to help thank you that's what this forum is for. Lot for stuck up people but think they're better than another because they've been apart of a forum longer give me a break God forbid a Mercedes mechanic that specializes in them joins and you take him for a fool. Not trying to be a jerk but asking a question on a form meant for just that you should not reply to people in that manner if you're here to help rather new or not!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Mercedes S430 2000
And if you're Mercedes is doing burnouts without deactivating ESP or a traction control system you more than likely are having traction control system problems
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Brian Plubell
First I don't care if he is new here this thread and the post on it are for all Mercedes owners new or veterans into attack a man for asking a question sounds pretty stuck-up and for your information ESP does not turn off traction control completely we also have stability control and abs stability control kicks in when the loss of traction starts engaging the electronic stability to the brake system most people don't realize these systems work together airmatic stability traction abs all run through a computer yes turning off the ESP will get you a burnout but not a real one and not one that will be easy on the car as the tires burn the stability control will kick in on the rear brakes thinking you have lost control people that have lost the airmatic system or system is leaking and it tells you to bring it in effects stability control and your abs he simply asked is there a way to do a burnout without these things interfering and from what I understand it is possible it put into Dyno mode or you get creative and install a button to turn off electronic stability control and abs and traction control all at once which I don't even know if it is possible to install such a button you would be better off with a line lock so you can lock out the rear braking system which is easy however installing a button that will turn off ABS and stability control I'm not sure it's possible don't give somebody a hard time over asking a simple question that this site is here for new or a veteran! Do you own this site? Because if you do I will find another with replies like that people join because they love these cars and value other owners opinions. This is the point of this site
What?

I don't mean to come across as a dick, but punctuating your sentences would be nice. Oh, and I don't see anyone getting attacked in this 6 year old thread.

Welcome to the forum!
The following users liked this post:
CMG241 (03-01-2022)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Oh dear Brian...making a fool of yourself for something written...SEVEN years ago!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
CMG241 (03-01-2022)
Old 11-27-2023, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bmw 528i
If you read my question carfully I wrote Traction control 100% off! My Operator's Manual says "If one or more wheels are spinning, the ESP Traction control brakes a spinning wheel even when ESP is deactivated".
What model years have this computer-faked limited slip rear diff? Obviously it is standard now but when was it first released in MB models?