M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How to remove door panels.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
How to remove door panels.

Hello, this is my first post here. I am working on a 2000 ML320. One of the rear doors needs a new lock actuator. I was wondering how to remove the door panels on this vehicle. Do they pop off? Lift up? Held on by screws?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM

2000 ML320
door panel

Its pretty simple to get the door panels off. First you need to pop out the insert on the door handle, where you pull the door shut from the inside, It may be wood grain or a leather insert..just pop it out from the bottom first...There are two screws behind it that must come out. ,then the lower part of the door is attached with plastic clips that can be popped in an out a few times before breaking, and are only 10c to get online, so pop the lower part of the door off first, and then lift the door upwards and outwards to release from window sill....then just unclip wires and the door is off. Once you take it off it is simple to reattach.....
Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM

ML 320
Unhappy Door Panel and Door LOCK

Hello the Door panel is exactly as he mentioned.
On the other hand I have a question of my own.
MY lock is stuck down, in the LOCK POSITION. Something snapped when i was manually pressing the lock down..

What exactly do I need to repair the lock?

Currently the Lock is stuck down and does not lock or unlock.
The Only way to open the door is from the inside and pull the handle to open the door. Other than that the door is stuck locked now.

Please help with any advise and part names to order thank you
Sim
Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 PM

2000 ML320
Im pretty sure you need to replace the whole actuator lock assembly....I searched all over and was not able to find one aftermarket, or used...so you might be stuck with your local dealer.....yuk...the part ranges from $150 and up....... And you need to drill out the rivets to remove the old assembly. The new one should be riveted in...I rigged mine with screws and its tight for at least a year now, but was a pain in the arss to do,....
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chriswit1
Its pretty simple to get the door panels off. First you need to pop out the insert on the door handle, where you pull the door shut from the inside, It may be wood grain or a leather insert..just pop it out from the bottom first...There are two screws behind it that must come out. ,then the lower part of the door is attached with plastic clips that can be popped in an out a few times before breaking, and are only 10c to get online, so pop the lower part of the door off first, and then lift the door upwards and outwards to release from window sill....then just unclip wires and the door is off. Once you take it off it is simple to reattach.....
i found this while searching for instructions to remove the door panel (right rear)

before i came online here., I got the handle cover off, removed the 2 screws., removed the door handle trim (looking for screws, nothing there)., i was pretty sure that its being held by plastic clips but i couldnt get anything in there to "pop" the panel out., searched here., ran into this post...

how do you pop the bottom panel out? i was able to squeze in a flat head screw diver and wiggle it once it was there, i hear it pop a bit but its still head in there pretty tight., i cannot use my hands to pull the lower panel outwards to pop it out of those plastic clips!!!

ive been looking for my pry tool but i cant find it and even if i did find it, i have noticed that the tools are "curving" the panels sides... any suggestions on how i can pop it out of the plastic plugs?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM

k., i finally got the panel off, it was a pain to get it unclipped., i broke 2

there is also a screw under the SRS logo
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 PM

ML 320
Question Door Lock Jammed Locked

Originally Posted by chriswit1
Im pretty sure you need to replace the whole actuator lock assembly....I searched all over and was not able to find one aftermarket, or used...so you might be stuck with your local dealer.....yuk...the part ranges from $150 and up....... And you need to drill out the rivets to remove the old assembly. The new one should be riveted in...I rigged mine with screws and its tight for at least a year now, but was a pain in the arss to do,....

what do you mean thtat the lock has to be drilled out? Is it impossible to unscrew or unmount the old assembly?
I am going to my local MB dealer saturday and will check to see if the parts are in stock. Could you get back to me with my issue..Appreciate it....
Sim