Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Go on a CDI?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Keyless Go on a CDI?

What exactly is the Keyless Go starting procedure for a cold engine? Does the car go through a delay while the glow plugs heat? Is it really a one touch start like the gas version?

My salesman didn't think it was an option on a CDI, but I think I have seen it listed in some of your signatures.

Anyone out there have this?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Your hard pressed to find a CDI with much more than HK stereo, CD changer and such out here... most sticker for about $53K .. basically stripped.

Keyless Go, is not available on the CDI, but I don't know if you can order it for European Delivery.. if you can wait, that's the way to go.. custom order the car.

I ended up having a lot of stuff added after purchase, and the car cost me more than a well equipped E500 as such!

I wish MB USA would have imported more loaded models, but that's not what the seem to think will sell.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM

2005 E230 CDI
Originally Posted by CE750
Your hard pressed to find a CDI with much more than HK stereo, CD changer and such out here... most sticker for about $53K .. basically stripped.

Keyless Go, is not available on the CDI, but I don't know if you can order it for European Delivery.. if you can wait, that's the way to go.. custom order the car.
:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

This CDI has Keyless Go
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FlintCDI
Wow 26,000 miles on a 2005!

But he'll get good money for it, especially since it a rarely loaded car..

I think the sticker price is artificially low for todays prices.. as the original car price in 2004 was 49800 or so, now it's 51000 or so..
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by FlintCDI
It doesn't have Xenon lights, but that's easy to fix.

I'll bet it ends up getting shipped to California.

FlintCDI PM sent

Last edited by cyclerider; 11-16-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I have factory Keyless Go. I got lucky, my CDI came with a few more extras than most. While I haven't had any sub-freezing days yet, the start procedure is the same as with gas. All I've seen so far is a slight delay, maybe one second, for the glow plugs before the engine cranks and starts.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by zanshin
I have factory Keyless Go. I got lucky, my CDI came with a few more extras than most. While I haven't had any sub-freezing days yet, the start procedure is the same as with gas. All I've seen so far is a slight delay, maybe one second, for the glow plugs before the engine cranks and starts.
So apparently the car will wait for the glow plugs. Do you have a glow plug indicator on the dash like the rest of us?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:30 PM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
I have owned a 2003 E320CDI with keyless go and never a problem with cold start, replaced glow plugs @ 60,000 miles, glow plug heater warning light stays on to denote problem.

I now have the new 320CDI V6 CLS for 2 months getting a little frosty in the mornings 0 to 1 degree starts first time negligible wait on start up, it is only 2 months old, 6,500 miles so far.

All my cars are always parked outside in the cold.

Liftman
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW! Another CDI w/ Renntech ECU..

How do you like yours? I've noticed a bit of a difference, but not worlds.. or maybe I'm just used to the extra power.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 PM

2005 E320 CDI
WOW! Another CDI w/ Renntech ECU..

How do you like yours? I've noticed a bit of a difference, but not worlds.. or maybe I'm just used to the extra power.
I feel the same way. There's a difference, but not a huge one. I'm also wondering what happens if there's a recall/tech bulletin/etc. which calls for a firmware update or reflashing of the ECU. Do the Renntech changes get wiped out when the dealer does the upgrade?

To stay on topic and answer an earlier question; yes, there's a glowplug dash indicator with the Keyless Go, same as without. Before I bought the car I was just going for a test drive w/ the dealer, killing time while my ML was being serviced. We grabbed this car out of the bunch of E320s on the lot because the int./ext. color scheme matched what I was looking for. After the test drive I asked why there was a difference in the window sticker MPG ratings between this car and the one next to it on the lot. That's when both the salesperson and I realized we had been driving a diesel. The CDI went home with me that night.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I feel the same way. There's a difference, but not a huge one. I'm also wondering what happens if there's a recall/tech bulletin/etc. which calls for a firmware update or reflashing of the ECU. Do the Renntech changes get wiped out when the dealer does the upgrade?
Ken Rudy at Renntech here in PHX said they would upload the new ECU w/ MB changes up to Germany, and then re-mod that one, then reload it onto our ECU... in other words, get the update done, take it back to them and they'll mod that update.

I had them accidently re-flash my ECU a while back, and I took it back to them and they were very nice about it.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:27 AM

2005 E320 CDI, 1999 ML430
Originally Posted by cyclerider
What exactly is the Keyless Go starting procedure for a cold engine? Does the car go through a delay while the glow plugs heat? Is it really a one touch start like the gas version?

My salesman didn't think it was an option on a CDI, but I think I have seen it listed in some of your signatures.

Anyone out there have this?
According to the manual, you simply press the KEYLESS-GO start/stop button once and the engine begins to preglow and will start automatically.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:19 PM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
Originally Posted by frogstaple
According to the manual, you simply press the KEYLESS-GO start/stop button once and the engine begins to preglow and will start automatically.
You are correct it functioned exactly this way on my old E320CDI.

Liftman
Old 11-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Harley-Davidson
thanks, frogstaple, i should have looked in the book!

liftman, how are you liking the CLS? You must have the best equipped one ever built! Too bad we can't get the diesel CLS here (yet?) in the USA.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:28 AM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
Originally Posted by cyclerider
liftman, how are you liking the CLS? You must have the best equipped one ever built! Too bad we can't get the diesel CLS here (yet?) in the USA.
Great, cruised back from the MB factory @2000 rpm 80mph.

I do regret not having added the AMG body KIT & Wheels; however I will probably add the Brabus ECU mod after Christmas.

Covered 7,000 miles in 2 months@ 35.0mpg aver 47mph, small problems:-

1. Seven speed auto gear shift can become very harsh, some down shifts have been extreme, new software patch for engine ecu & Gearbox due next week.

2 Dynamic drivers seat bolsters stick on full inflation n/s (major irritation)replacement control unit fitted to seat unsuccessful, more investigation to be done, pipe problem suspected by MB.

3. Alarm motion sensors activated (suspect set up incorrect) after interior switch door locking, I do not know which annoyed my wife more, the fact that I returned to the car 15minutes later after the alarm had triggered several times, or that no one came over to find out why the alarm triggered, sign of the times I suppose.

Otherwise fine, however ask the same question in 10 months time when it should have covered 35,000+

Overall back to back with the old inline 6 the V6 has far better performance, is very quiet for a diesel, mid range overtaking is cracking but this is at a price of less MPG so far 8-10% for me.

Liftman
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
The new CDI diesel engines don't need to pre heat up the glow plugs, its all automatic when we start the engine.
In Audi's TDI its the same, my fathers Audi A6 3.0TDI when we turn the ignition it does all in the same time.
In my 03 CDI I don't want to do a running start...

The only thing we must considerer its not to push up the engine when its cold (not at normal engine temperature) and not to turn off the engine after running hard for a while, or it could kill the turbo because when we turn off the engine, the turbo stays without lubrification and water. With ECU upgraded cars doubles the care.
This turbo problem is a issue here in europe, when people goes to fill up when in highways, they turn off the engine imediatelly after they stoped, and then puff...
Old 11-24-2005, 01:27 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Got it on mine

Hi.

I special ordered my car with almost all the bells and whistles! Love KeylessGo!!! It will wait until the engine is warm enough before it starts... usually you don't even notice a delay. The coldest the car has been when I started it was about 25 degrees, and the car started in about a second.

Great option! I love life without a key. It's great not having to search through your pockets and such to lock/unlock and start the car.

Russ
Old 12-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 ML320 CDI,'05 320 CDI; '01 S430,'98 VITO 110D
CDI with Keyless Go

I ended up having a lot of stuff added after purchase, and the car cost me more than a well equipped E500 as such!

I wish MB USA would have imported more loaded models, but that's not what the seem to think will sell.

Yes, my 05 CDI has Keyless Go and I think just about everything that was available at the time; sticker was a little over 60k.
When pressing START key there is 1 or 2 sec delay and engine starts now in
15 deg F like in the summer. And I love every minute of it.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:19 AM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
Keyless Go on CDI?

Yep my CDI has it. I love this option. I ordered mine FULLY loaded, except distronic and parktronic. Just about to upgrade to LED tail lamps.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
At StarTech last year, the MB engineers showed a video of the cylinder combustion and the pre-injection and post-injection that takes place to compensate for varying ignition conditions.

My bet is that with this engine, the pre- and post- injection probably makes more of a difference than the glow plugs do for a cold start.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 AM

CL65 AMG 2008 / G63 AMG 2013
I have a cls 320 cdi with the keyless go too it works great you just wait couple more sec before the engine starts that's it!